Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Summer is FINALLY over!!






It is funny how things change as you get older. I remember that I used to live for the summer when I was a kid. Summer meant that I would go to Kentucky and stay with my grandparents. I would spend most every waking hour with my cousin, Eric and together we would rule the world. We spent most of the time outside riding our bikes up the railroad tracks, exploring the fields and ponds and simply playing with whatever caught our interest that day. Some summers my brother would join us and add to the trouble. Whenever anyone asks about memories of my childhood, I always go back to my summers in Kentucky. Now as an adult and more importantly as a parent, I really dread summers. Not because I don't want to spend time with my kids, don't get me wrong. But it is very hard to play with kids toys all summer long. Not only that, but it is so hot here that the kids really don't love being outside unless it involves water. So when school starts, things just seem to flow better in our house. We have a schedule and the TV is usually off, thank god. So as sad as it makes me to admit that I don't live for summers anymore, I will admit it and start living for fall.

No comments: