Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The second worst day of my life

I love being a mother more than anything in this world but I really hate the medical emergencies that come with children. Yesterday started off relatively normal for us. We have been fighting fevers and the yuckies for a couple of days now but nothing out of the norm. Kayce woke up with about a 99 degree temp so I gave her Tylenol and went on about our day. I kept checking her temp throughout the day and it never got above 99 and she was acting fine. Darren left for work around 1:00 with the intention of working till midnight. After the kids woke up, I again gave Kayce Tylenol and the kids and I headed out to the outlet mall because Blake was in desperate need of new tennis shoes. We shopped around and went into the bookstore. I got Kayce out of her stroller and let her walk around and finally started back towards the car. I had put Kayce back in the stroller for the walk. As we were walking, I noticed that she was slumped over a little bit so I looked around at her and saw instantly that something was wrong. Her eyes were rolled in the back of her head and she was making a gurgling sound. Her fists were clinched and she was shaking all over. I realized she was having a seizure and called 911. As we sat there, a wonderful lady and man came up and stood with me. She called Darren and told him to meet us at the hospital. After what seemed like FOREVER, the ambulance got there. By that time Kayce had just come out of the seizure and was very lethargic and mad. We all piled up into the ambulance and speed to the hospital. Kayce was hotter than I can tell you. We took all of her clothes off and started to wipe her down with wet towels. When we got to the hospital, she was still very mad and out of it. The doctor ran her blood and urine and her temp was 103. Thankfully we have the most wonderful pediatrician. He came to the ER and as soon as he walked in the tension in the air disappeared. He assured us that she was fine and had a febrile seizure from her temp rising so quickly. Apparently, these can run in the family and sure enough, Darren had one when he was a child. So she is now on Tylenol and Advil around the clock for the next couple of days and whenever she starts to run a low grade fever from now on. Today everyone is tired but fine. She is still running a low grade temp but she is ok. I guess the good thing we can take from this is that Blake really loved riding in the ambulance with the sirens going.

1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

Wow, I can't imagine how scary that was.... don't want to EVER have to know!! Good for Blake that he was able to enjoy the ride. Our prayers are with you guys.